Sunday, November 25, 2012

These Are A Few of My Favorite Things

As a teacher it's such an amazing feeling when a lesson goes exactly (or better than) the way you planned it.  We put so much time and energy outside of the "normal" work day into creating, planning, and preparing lessons, and sometimes all it takes to make all that prep work feel worthwhile is just for the lesson to go well.  When I say well I mean students having that "ah-ha" moment where you can see in their faces that they get it.  They're both excited and proud, and it's obvious that actual learning occurred.  I love those moments!

There's an expression in the world of education that says there are no knew ideas in teaching; only recycled old ones.  I understand where that sentiment comes from, although I don't totally agree with it.  There are certainly core methodologies and practices (cooperative learning, for example) that are tried and true, no matter the discipline.  However, I think it's what teachers do with those established practices that separate them from their peers.  The delivery of instruction from teacher to teacher is as unique as our individual students.  It's in the delivery where teachers insert their own style and creative new ideas.  Furthermore, in this technologically advanced day and age, there are so many new tools available for teachers to create and deliver content to their students with.  Computers have made it possible to expand on and improve "old" ideas.  In fact, it's actually frustrating to try to keep up.  I know there are opportunities out there that I'm not taking advantage of, but I enjoy the challenge of discovering new tools available to me - like this blog.

Having said all that, I want to share some of my favorite teaching ideas with you.  It's possible that the main idea may not have originated with me, but the enhancements to it and the materials used are absolutely my own.


PowerPoint Lessons
Prior to becoming a teacher, I took a prerequisite class for my graduate teaching program at the local community college.  In that class, the teacher delivered all of her lessons using PowerPoint presentations.  I remember thinking how great it was that she wouldn't have to recreate these lessons each semester and how she could add media content (videos, web links, pictures) into her slideshows that would enhance the learning experience.  Additionally, I liked the fact that I didn't have to watch her write on the board because her notes were already in the presentation.  She could talk with us and move around while we took notes.  I told myself then that I wanted to try to make many of my lessons using PowerPoint so that my lessons and students could benefit from the things I previously mentioned.

I haven't quite succeeded in making all of my lessons electronic, and I have suffered from two complete hard drive crashes in my career, but I have created many PowerPoint lessons that I use year after year.  My students, being the techno-crazed generation that they are, seem to enjoy this multi-media method of delivering content, too.  I use these slideshows to provide students with definitions, examples, including short video clips, and practice.  Whenever possible I add web links to sites that provide on-line practice, and I'll take my students to the computer lab and have each of them open up their own copy of the PowerPoint file.  They put on headphones and work at a self-driven pace through the lesson.

Here is a small sampling of some of my PowerPoint lessons:

A student balances her account.

Classroom Economy
I'm not going to say anything more about this than what I've already said in a previous blog post:
http://mrjayne.blogspot.com/2012/11/classroom-economy.html .  I will say that this economy seems to be the thing that I receive the most positive feedback from parents and students on, and it's very effective with classroom management.


Persuasive Letters
After spending a few weeks learning about persuasion, I have my students write persuasive letters to people and organizations asking them to do or believe something.  I don't allow these letters to be greedy gimme-gimme letters.  I do, however, encourage my students to write to companies and individuals that they deal with frequently, and I have them focus on something they would like to see changed or improved.  I tell the students that I'm going to actually mail these letters, but a lot of time I find that they don't believe me ... that is until we start receiving responses back.  It's amazing to see how willing organizations are to not only respond to students but to grant their requests.  This, of course, motivates my students to continue writing letters on their own, which is a lost practice among this generation.

After 12 years of having students write persuasive letters, I have a notecard box filled with addresses, and I have a folder bursting with copies of the responses students have received.  They've received many things they've asked for and a lot of things they didn't ask for (freebies, autographs, pictures, etc.).   We've received form letters, posters, and large UPS packages.  Of course, not every student receives a response, and I tell my students that beforehand, but it's still fun for them to try.



Real-World Problem-Solving
I love the challenge of turning my students into strong problem-solvers (see my post: http://mrjayne.blogspot.com/2012/11/the-importance-of-problem-solving_9.html).  It's one area where there are so many real-world opportunities for learning.  As much as possible, I try to pull in real examples for my students to problem-solve with.  

One of my favorite real world examples involves this video clip of an actual exchange between a customer and a phone service rep.  I'll leave it up to you to listen to the details of the call, but I thought this was a great opportunity to see how my students would handle the same problem.  After all, there are several key math concepts embedded within this example: decimal place value, conversions, importance of correct units, etc.  After teaching them about decimal place value, I pose a similar problem to my students: http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Real-World-Problem-Solving-Decimals-Money-Using-Correct-Units-Equivalency .  They are typically split into two areas of thought - just like the video - which allows for some great classroom discussion.  Finally, I show them the video.  They are engaged and interested, which is all a teacher can really hope for, right?

That's enough for now; I certainly have plenty more.  Thanks for reading, and feel free to share some of your favorites.

No comments:

Post a Comment